Friday, January 17, 2014

Disaster Chef: Baked French Toast (Project Pinterest)


This was a recipe I tried out during Christmas break when my family was here. My son isn't the biggest fan of French toast because he says it's too soggy, but he loved this. The recipe can be found here, on Parade.

Here's the recipe:




Ingredients

  • 1 (12½ oz) loaf of favorite bread (such as challah), cut into 1-inch-thick slices
  • 3 cup whole milk
  • 7 large eggs
  • ½ cup light-brown sugar
  • ¼ cup real maple syrup, plus more for serving
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg

Directions

  1. Generously butter a 13 x 9–inch casserole. Arrange bread slices in dish, staggering in rows.
  2. In large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour over bread and press down, making sure slices absorb liquid. Cover with foil.
  3. Refrigerate overnight.
  4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove foil and bake casserole 55 minutes to 1 hour, until puffy and golden. Serve with more maple syrup, if desired. 


I used whole wheat bread and spread it out on two dishes because when I layered the bread, it wasn't under the milk. We only had 2 cups of milk, so I used that and a half cup of half & half. Our chickens definitely don't lay large eggs, so ours were small. I used only 2 tbsp. of sugar and syrup, and 1 tbsp. of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. I baked until the bread got puffy and took it out. It got nice and crisp on top, and everyone liked it, even my son, since it was not at all soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment