Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Why Writers Write

That's a question that I'm sure lots of fellow writers get asked, and it's always an awkward moment. Why, indeed. So I've come up with a handy list, feel free to pick and choose some and use them next time someone asks you that most unanswerable question.

  • Because I want to
  • Because I need to
  • Because I have to
  • To get out all the crazy
  • To keep from going crazy
  • Habit
  • Duty/obligation
  • Inspiration
  • I had an idea
  • Someone gave me an idea
  • I was trying to come up with an idea
  • I want to share my ideas
  • I like to cleverly hide my ideas in fiction
  • I keep hoping for a good idea
  • I have no idea
  • I started and couldn't stop
  • I stopped and couldn't get started again, so now I will never stop because then I might never get started again.
  • It's my calling
  • It's my therapy
  • It's my escape
  • It's my revenge
  • It's my one true love
  • I'm in love with my hero
  • I'm in love with my villain
  • Someday I'll be discovered
  • I don't care if no one ever reads it, I have to get it out of my head
  • If I don't write it down, where will it go?
  • I have to see what happens next
For most of us, the answer is probably some combination thereof, or a hundred other reasons. For most of us, it's probably because it's who we are, because we can't NOT write. Notice how none of the above reasons said, "for the money?" If a writer is writing for that, good for him/her. Bravo. He made it in the writing world and hit the publishing jackpot. My guess is, his books are not excellent. But what do I know? I only write because I'm a writer.



Happy Writer Wednesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment