Friday, October 25, 2013

Disaster Chef: Snickerdoodle Pancakes #foodiefriday #projectpinterest



Another disastrous Disaster Chef project here for you today. This week it’s snickerdoodle pancakes. Remember my post about making snickerdoodles, and how I didn’t have any cream of tartar? Well, I got some. And I made snickerdoodles again, and they were everything a snickerdoodle should be. I was so inspired, in fact, that the next morning I decided I’d make snickerdoodle pancakes, which I’d seen on pinterest while searching for the cookie recipe.

First let me say, pancakes can be tricky. I did my fair share of burning them when I started making them a few years ago, and had a number turn out with raw centers. But my son LOVES pancakes, so I got better at them. In fact, now it’s one of the few things I consistently rock. I make all varieties—apple, pumpkin, banana, blueberry, plain…And my son loves them all. Because, let’s face it, I’ve become a pancake expert.

I was just cooking for my son and me this time, so I halved the recipe. It can be found here.

Think this looks moist and soggy? It's worse!
Snickerdoodle Pancakes
Author: 
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: American
Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 4
Snickerdoodle Pancakes!
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • 4 tablespoons of melted butter
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • ¼ – ½ a cup of milk
Instructions
  1. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk to combine.
  2. Add wet ingredients and whisk just until combined.
  3. Use ¼ cup of milk for thicker, fluffy pancakes. Add more milk for thinner, tender pancakes.
  4. Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter onto hot non-stick griddle.
  5. When edges of pancakes start to set, flip and cook until light golden brown.
  6. Serve with butter and warm cinnamon vanilla glaze.
  7. Makes about 16 pancakes.

I don’t know if it was the cream of tartar (it seemed like it called for an awful lot), but the batter was this really weird gelatinous consistency. I did use plain yogurt in place of sour cream, since I didn’t have a container of sour cream on hand. But I’ve used this substitution lots of times, and it’s always worked fine. In fact, I always use yogurt in pancakes, because it gives them a wonderful tender quality. This time, not so much.
   
Waiting, and waiting, for this to solidify...
I put the first pancake in with high hopes. Then I proceeded to wait, and wait, and wait for it to get solid around the edges. Finally, it looked sort of solid so I tried to slide a spatula under it, but it sort of folded up. I did manage to get it turned, then waited a few minutes and took it off. It had taken a long time to solidify around the edges, so that side was a little overcooked. Fine, it was a bit burned. But still edible. I decided to eat that one myself and make a better one for my son. As I browned his pancake to perfection (see picture), I ate the one I’d made. IT WAS TERRIBLE! It was super sour for some reason, and even though it was scorched on one side, the middle was all gooey. Not raw, mind you. More like…foamy pudding. Or that whipped yogurt Yoplait put out a few years ago.
The one that looked good.

These things would not cook! Even though the second one looked beautiful, it was all gooey in the middle too. I tried adding more liquid, then more flour, then turning the pan on the lowest setting, which couldn’t burn anything if you left it all day. I left a pancake in there on low for about 20 minutes, even putting a lid on it so the top would cook, even if it turned out cake-like. No. It NEVER cooked. It just solidified the gelatinous goo.

This was a huge disaster, unless you like really gooey, gummy, sour pancakes. I will never make it again.

The cinnamon glaze was good, though.
Warm Cinnamon Vanilla Glaze
Author: 
Recipe type: Glaze
Cuisine: American
Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 4
A warm cinnamon vanilla glaze to serve on top of Snickerdoodle Pancakes.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 3-4 tablespoons of milk

Instructions
  1. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Warm in small pan over low heat.

1 comment: