Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review Wednesday: Smack, by Melvin Burgess

SmackSmack by Melvin Burgess


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Like many of my 5-star books, I've resisted reviewing this one because there is no way to do it justice in a few sentences.




This is one of the most intense books I've ever read. I could not stop reading even when it got so intense I got the shakes reading about the kids' journey into heroin addiction. Like Burgess's other books, it drew me in, grabbed on with talons and claws, and would not let go. I think I stayed up all night finishing this one. The first half was engaging, but the second half was...indescribable. I literally could not put it down if I tried. I had to keep reading, even as it got more and more horrifying. Burgess knows how to draw the reader in and keep you there until the climactic scene, which is so intense and awful you will at least want to cry. This book is like...well, like being addicted. You can't stop even when you want to, even when you wonder if it's actually doing some psychological damage.




I read this a few years ago, but to this day the scene where the girl shoots up between her breasts while nursing her baby is probably the most horrifying thing I've ever read. I loved this book, but I'm not going to say it's for everyone, because it is VERY graphic in terms of scenes of drug consumption. But, powerful and worth reading if you can handle it.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment