Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lena & Gabe's Excellent Adventure (Days 1 & 2)

Okay, so I was going to post every day of our trip, but that probably won't happen since some of the nights we'll be camping. So I'm just going to go with it...and post whenever I have internet access.

Here's the trip so far.
On Saturday, I got a late start. So, I didn't end up packing until about 10am. Oops. It didn't take too long, and since I'm not really stressing about this trip, I just figured if I forgot anything, I'd buy it on the way. We took a long walk/run to get some exercise before starting out. Our goal was to leave at noon, but after the exercise, I decided a shower would be nice. So we set off clean and refreshed at about 1pm.

Jason's folks had agreed to give us a place to crash on Saturday night, so we didn't have to look for a hotel, which was a relief on the first night. We got in a little late, since we left late, right before 8. Jason's mom was super excited to see Gabe and have a kid in the house. He was super hyper and ready to get out of the car. She made him hot cocoa and he had some cookies with it, and proceeded to act like a sugar-hyped monkey for the next hour. He'd had a late nap in the car, but I hadn't gotten much sleep and was exhausted. Patti played with Gabe a little and read him a story, and gossiped with me a while before we went to bed. I let Gabe stay up and watch a bit of a movie on the laptop, but I was so tired I just crashed.

This morning we got up and Patti had made breakfast, so we had orange danish rolls, coffee & juice, bacon & sausage...It was a splendid morning in Shreveport, cold but nice. We walked down to the dock and looked at the lake a bit before heading out. We got a late start again (left at 10 or so) and it took us longer than planned. We drove pretty much all day, and not much happened, which is probably a good thing when you're on a road trip. Gabe stayed up late last night, but still didn't take a nap. Still, he was an excellent traveling companion once I told him whining was not allowed in the car. We only stopped a few times, but he did much better than yesterday, even though the trip was longer. At about 7, I gave up on getting to Florida tonight. We were both tired of being in the car, and I didn't want to stress about how far we drove. We decided at the beginning that we'd just take it as it came, and get as far as we got, and that would be fine. We have vague goals, but nothing set in stone. So, we stopped in Gulfport MS and got a hotel room.

Since we'd been cooped up in the car all day without any exercise, we brought in the Rusted Root CD from the car and had a little dance party in our hotel room. Gabe got to jump on the bed for once, so he was pretty excited and made the most of it. And I won't lie, I might have joined him for a bit.

So that's our trip so far. Nothing too exciting, but it's fun to be on an adventure. Gabe has a little US map to look at in the car so he can follow our progress and track his journey. I'm excited about tomorrow, and looking forward to seeing the ocean again. It's been way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment