Wednesday, September 3, 2014

YA Wednesday Graphic Novel Review: Amulet Series by Kazu Kibuishi

Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


If for some reason you think graphic novels are shallow and devoid of emotional impact, think again. Amulet had me in tears within a few pages of sparse dialogue. Don't underestimate the power or emotional impact images can have on us, moreso even than words, and in such a small space.
Once I dried my tears and began chapter one, the book flew by. The plot picks up, the characters are realistic (yes, I require this even in fantasy, perhaps especially in fantasy), and the author's imagination is a wonderful mix of the odd, the fantastical, the touching, and sometimes the absurd. It has the whimsy of something like The Never Ending Story. If adorable pink robotic bunnies are your kind of thing, grab this book and don't let go til you've drunk in every last magical image and read every last thought bubble. I know I did. And I can't wait to grab the next.



Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2)Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse by Kazu Kibuishi

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Beautiful illustrations, another wonderful story. My son and I can't get enough of these books. There is so much to see that he'll look at them for hours.


Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3)Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers by Kazu Kibuishi

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


These book are fantastic! The artwork is so amazing--haunting and eerie, comical, tender. I absolutely love it. It makes the story multitudes better. The story is pretty good, too. But the illustrations are what really keep me coming back for more. Plus, I love Miskit!

Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council (Amulet, #4)Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council by Kazu Kibuishi

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Once more, beautiful artwork, as in every book in the series. I enjoyed the storyline in this one a bit more than in the last. And was overjoyed to see the return of Miskit, the pink robot bunny.

Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves by Kazu Kibuishi

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I thought this was the last book in the series, but a lot was left up in the air, so I really hope Kibuishi will wrap things up with another book. I haven't read a lot of graphic novels before, but this series was so beautiful and breathtaking. I wish there were many, many more of them. 


I saw that Book 6 was out and I can't wait to read it! Exciiiited...

2 comments:

  1. I've never been interested in reading graphic novels.. but after seeing this post I think I am going to start reading them!:)
    Thank you for these wonderful reviews.
    June
    The Journeys' of my beating heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all we should understand the meaning of the words of which we speak. An Amulet, and in this case the closely related term Good Luck Charm, is defined as "an object that protects a person from trouble", and is a very close relative of the term Talisman, from the Greek, which is translated as "to initiate into the mysteries" and is really part of objects which are intended to bring good luck and/or protection to its owner. Amulets can be many different things including plants and animals, pendants and rings, statues, coins, drawings, gems or simple stones, or even words spoken on certain occasions, such as Namo Tassa Bhagahato Arahato Samma Sambuddhasa which are used to ward off evil or bad luck. 泰國佛牌

    ReplyDelete