Friday, July 4, 2014

Disaster Chef: Foodie Friday: Barbecue Ribs (project pinterest)

Another search on Pinterest yielded results. This time I went in search of a ribs recipe. I've heard that ribs are hard to make, and I didn't want to use the Crock-Pot this time, since I was making them one evening after work. This was a good oven recipe that turned out great! It would be perfect for those who have to work on Fourth of July and still wanted to cook afterwards. Everyone in my family loved it and wanted more. Again, a recipe my son scorned, but then he gobbled them up.

I served them with Chinese cabbage my sister had given me from her garden. Organic veggies=yum.

You can find these ribs on my Project Pinterest board now, from the original recipe from Jenny Can Cook.






Here's her recipe:

  • one rack of baby back ribs (I had two racks of ribs from a pig my sister gave me--no idea if they are babyback or not, but they were small racks).
  • juice of one lemon (I didn't measure this, just squirted some on from one of those lemon juice lemons)
  • 1/4 cup rub (your own or my recipe below)(I used her recipe, modifications listed)
  • 1/2 cup barbeque sauce (Our favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's) or look on Jenny's website for hers.
 Rub: Here’s her rub recipe: 1/4 cup brown sugar (I used 2tbs xylitol, 2tbs black strap molasses here); 2 tsp. each of chili powder & sweet paprika; 1 tsp. each of salt, dry mustard & oregano; 1/2 tsp. each of garlic powder & onion powder (I didn't have these, so I slice a couple cloves of garlic and scattered it on top before the ribs cooked); 1/4 tsp. pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 300° F.
  2. Remove excess fat from ribs. Peel the silver skin off the back of the ribs - lift with a sharp knife and grab with a paper towel to remove (I don't even know what this means, so I didn't do it!)
  3. Cut ribs apart into individual pieces.
  4. Rub ribs all over with lemon juice.
  5. Coat ribs with dry rub. Place meat side down in large baking pan, & cover tightly with foil, shiny side out.
  6. Bake in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
  7. Remove from oven & pour off liquid (didn't pour off liquid, but just b/c I forgot and there wasn't much liquid in the pan, anyway)
  8. Brush bbq sauce over all sides of ribs.
  9. Grill: To finish ribs on the grill, remove from the pan and place ribs on the grill (I use a basket over direct but low heat) basting and turning a few times for about 10 minutes.
  10. Oven: To finish ribs in the oven, set oven to broil and return ribs to the same oven rack, basting and broiling about 5 minutes per side, watching so they don’t burn. They will be so tender, it’s best to turn them using gloved hands. (I used the oven and they turned out great!)
    Ribs and Chinese Cabbage.
 So, another non-disastrous recipe! That's two in a row. Maybe I'm getting better at this whole cooking thing (or at least choosing recipes).

No comments:

Post a Comment