Friday, June 10, 2011

Ronnie's interview

Here is the 21 questions interview I did with the wonderful Ronnie Massey. Check out her website and blog for all kinds of cool stuff, including interviews and some of her own traditionally published books!

This is the interview she did with me.

How long have you been writing? Forever! I used to make up stories with my sisters and write them in little notebooks when I was a kid. The storylines continued forever, like little soap operas.

What genre do you love writing the most and what drew you to it? I write mostly fantasy, adult and young adult. I like getting to make the world exactly how I envision it.

What authors do you follow and why? I'm a huge fan of young adult author Sara Zarr. Her books are more honest than most YA novels, especially YA romance. She doesn't follow the formula or write what she's 'supposed' to write, and that inspires me. I also love Cormac McCarthy's novels.

What inspired your current work? My current book, The Superiors, was inspired by a few other vampire books I'd read. I kept wondering why vampires hid in the shadows if they were so powerful, wealthy, immortal and invincible. I thought, if vampires really existed, wouldn't they use that power over humans? So that's what inspired me to start the series.

Do you incorporate parts of yourself or people you know into your characters? Absolutely. Some people would probably argue, but I think every character an author creates is a part of him/herself. Even the villains. After all, it came from the writer's imagination or experiences, so it's in there somewhere.

If you were stranded on a deserted island what three books would you want with you? Survival for Dummies so I didn't do something completely idiotic and kill myself by accident. His Dark Materials, by Phillip Pullman, would suck me in so much I'd forget all about being scared. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging, by Louise Rennison, because I'd need a good laugh in that situation.

If your novel was being adapted for the silver screen who would you cast and would you want it to be a movie or a TV series? Adrian Grenier (Vince from "Entourage") was in my head the whole time I was writing Draven's character. Aimee Teegarden (the coach's daughter from "Friday Night Lights") would play Cali. Nicholas Lea (from "Kyle XY") would play Byron, and Marisol would have to be someone very beautiful, like Megan Fox or Salma Hayek.

What one piece of advice would you give to aspiring authors? Just keep writing, for yourself if no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment