Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Horror Book Review: Mr. Mercedes, by Stephen King

Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I've read a lot of Stephen King, and for years, I've held the belief that I only like his older stuff. Finally, one of his newer books impressed me! This book was excellent. And talk about a master of suspense! Sometimes I was driving around listening to this in my car and grinning my fool head off because I was just so darn excited about what was happening, and what I was anticipating. Watching the whole thing unfold, soooo deliciously, torturously slow, was nerve-wracking. I wish every suspense and horror writer would read this book as a lesson. I happened to be reading a YA horror at the same time, and I was continually frustrated by this other book's tendency to rush the action at the expense of both suspense and clarity. Stephen King loves to explain. Some may think that makes his books move too slowly. But for me, it's worth every sentence because I am NEVER EVER confused, never asked to just believe something though the explanation is too muddy to make sense. SK is clear. He explains. He leaves no discrepancies. No stone unturned. And it's perfect.

This book is written by a master at his most masterful. Can't wait to read the next 2 in the series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment