Wednesday, February 17, 2016

YA Wednesday Review: Catalyst, by Laurie Halse Anderson

CatalystCatalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I've read pretty much everything this author has published, starting with Speak and Wintergirls. Since then, I've been waiting for her to capture (and break) my heart the way she did in those two books. But she hasn't.

I didn't really connect with Kate in this book at all. She was sort of cold, and I didn't really understand her decisions. As she fell apart, I couldn't really sympathize or feel for her. Also, I didn't like Terri, though I felt sorry for her, and that made it hard for me to root for them to end up friends or to care one way or the other what happened to either of them. Terri was a jerk, Kate was a spaz, and they both kind of sucked. I didn't understand Kate's decision about the watch, either. Her mom had given it to her. It seemed cold to just throw it away like it meant nothing.

Overall, I can't really recommend this book. It's just okay, and the author has books that are worlds better than this.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment