Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Review: The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

The Turn of the ScrewThe Turn of the Screw by Henry James

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


So anyway...

That's kind of how I felt at the end of this book. It was certainly interesting and engaging. The suspense was great, and it kept me going the whole book. I couldn't wait to see what came next. But the whole book was really bizarre, too, and I'm still not sure that I understood any of it. My interpretation of the events, especially the ending, is probably way off base from what a lit professor would say.

Our protagonist is a governess to two children, one of whom was expelled from boarding school for mysterious reasons. The children both seem perfect angels at first. Then our protagonist begins seeing ghosts and enlists the sympathy of the housekeeper, convincing her that the children see the ghosts (and consort and plot with them), too. But why the children would want to fool everyone into thinking they didn't see the ghosts, if they did...why they wanted to hang out with ghosts in the first place...etc, etc, I could never figure out.

And the ending...whoa. Just going to let that sit a few days and see what conclusion my brain comes to regarding that little gem.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment