Wednesday, December 10, 2014

YA Wednesday: Rooftoppers, by Katherine Rundell

RooftoppersRooftoppers by Katherine Rundell

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Usually, when I read a book I really love, I find myself wishing I'd written it. I don't wish I'd written this book. It is too perfect, and if I'd written it, I might have changed one word, and one word different would make it less than perfect. I would not want a single word of this book different.

Usually, when I read a book I love, I want to eat it. I didn't want to eat this book. I wanted to hold it to my chest and squeeze it so hard it became a part of me, absorbed into my heart.

This book made me want to use adjectives like whimsical, magical, musical, and lovely. But those words do not do it justice. This book made me clutch my steering wheel as I listened, heart thumping, for the book to race to its conclusion. It made me ache with wanting what Sophie wanted. It made me burst into tears at the last line.

I can't begin to do this book justice with a review. I fell in love with every character, with every twist, with the language the author uses. I never wanted it to end, but I couldn't wait to see what happened next, to see how it would turn out. When it ended, I felt like I'd been clubbed in the heart. I just wanted to sit there, stunned, saying "Oh my god, oh my god," over and over, because I couldn't think of a single other thing to say.

I don't know who I would recommend this book to. It's too special to me to say that I'd want everyone to read it. Some people might not 'get it,' might not fall in love with its loveliness. But it is now on my list of favorite books of all time, with the likes of Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird. It's that good. It transcends the 5 star rating. There should be a special category for books this good, an exemption that lets readers give a 6-star review. Even that would not be enough.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment